30 Days of Whedon
Day 27. Something that didn’t happen, but should have?
The rest of Firefly is the easy answer, and I’m going with it. Mainly because Joss had prepared for a long series and laid so many foundations in those first episodes. After seeing Buffy and Angel go for so long, I guess he thought to plan out his arcs, and there were so many he planted seeds for:
- Reavers slowly making an appearance
- River’s abilities growing into crazy martial arts skills that we saw in the movie
- Pretty much everything in Serenity
- Early (the bounty hunter) coming back
- Blue Sun Corporation (logos seen in the background many times and on Jayne’s shirt) revealed to be a super-mega-company of EEEVIIILLLL
- Book’s past - possibly as an operative
- Inara was dying, explaining her desire to see the ‘Verse rather than teach and unwillingness to pursue a relationship with Mal. Also, the real reason for her visit to Ariel
So, he had a lot planned for us. Beyond the show just being so well done and a thrill to watch, there was so much left to build on, so many seeds we never get to see grow.
gifset from Whedonverse Gifs